Last Updated on February 13, 2023 by Babette Sasha
How to cancel a Zelle payment?
Zelle is a mobile payment app that allows you to send or receive money to and from friends and relatives, in a faster and easier way. You can also make payments through the app.
Zelle is a great app for digital money transfer.
What happens if you accidentally sent money and want to cancel the payment? Don’t fret, because Zelle allows you to cancel a payment. However, it must be kept in mind that this feature is only available in certain cases:
Let’s learn about when are you qualified to cancel a payment
There are two cases when you can cancel a Zelle payment. First: if the recipient hasn’t yet enrolled with the Zelle app, or when the payment is scheduled for a later date.
To check for a pending payment you need to log into your Mobile Banking app and select Zelle. Go to the Activity tab to check whether your friend has yet received the payment or is pending.
Read This to Know >> Here is How To Receive Zelle Payment Chase Quickly
Canceling a Zelle payment with your online Banking app:
- Open your bank’s app or visit the website of your bank to login.
- Visit the Activity Tab
- You can easily see the Stop the Payment option if the person hasn’t yet enrolled within the Zelle app. You will not see this option if the person hasn’t yet enrolled with the app.
- If your payment is set for a later date, you can cancel your payment by clicking on Cancel.
Canceling a Zelle payment with the App
If you sent the money to the wrong person, the only way to cancel the payment is, if the amount isn’t yet credited to their account or they haven’t yet enrolled with the Zelle app.
To cancel a pending transaction you can follow the steps below:
- Open your Zelle app
- Press on the Zelle Experience option
- Visit your Activity page
- Select the payment you want to cancel
- Select the ‘cancel this payment’ option.
- If the payment expires
Zelle app allows you to send money even if the recipient hasn’t enrolled in the app yet. They will receive the notification and instructions on how to get their money.
However, if your recipient doesn’t enroll on the app, the payment might expire and the amount would be returned back into your account.
You don’t need to worry about any cancellation fee, as Zelle doesn’t charge any fee for canceling a payment.
Why is my payment status showing pending?
When a payment status is showing pending, it means the recipient might not have enrolled their mobile phone number or email address to receive the payment. If you are not sure of your payment you can further contact the Zelle support team.
Read This to Know >> Here is Why Is My Zelle Payment Pending [ Answered ]
How long would a canceled payment take to be returned back?
When you cancel a payment using Zelle, the time period of your payment to be reflected back into your account would be shown.
Typically, it takes 3-5 business days for your fund to be credited back into your account.
Can a payment be canceled if I’m on banks like Wells Fargo, Capital One, Bank of America, etc?
Regardless of the bank, you’re using, Zelle has the same cancellation policy. As is already mentioned, you can only cancel a payment if your recipient hasn’t yet enrolled with Zelle or the payment is scheduled for later.
Always be cautious with using digital payment apps
It should be always remembered that even though payments through Zelle is transferred within moments, one single mistype in the recipient’s phone number or their email address could lead you to lose your money.
Hence before hitting the send button you must double-check the email or the phone number you have sent the fund to.
If you’ve realized your money went to the wrong person, you can try contacting them and request the money back.
Here are some tips to be safe from making mistakes in Zelle payment:
- Read all the terms and conditions of the app. Reading through the terms and conditions would help you understand their policies much better and help you be aware of where you stand.
- Send money to friends and families or only to known people. Don’t use the app for making all kinds of payments, especially to unknown or strangers.
- Be aware that fees might apply as all kinds of transactions are not free. Check in with your bank or Credit Card Company as they might charge fees even if the app doesn’t.
- Always be careful with whom you’re transferring your money to. You should always double check the accuracy of the recipient’s email or phone number before making a transaction. The ultimate responsibility is yours.
Can I get my money back if I get scammed?
Scams happen when someone makes you pay for buying something nonexistent.
Often there are websites selling items, where sometimes you would want to pay through Zelle, but it is not recommended to use Zelle for making payments, especially if it’s a large one.
Keep in mind, neither Zelle nor banks take responsibility for fraud or scam protection. It’s wholly your responsibility to be aware and use the app carefully.
However if you get scammed and want your money back, you must immediately contact your financial institution. You can also contact the Zelle customer support team.
Can I chargeback on Zelle?
You can charge back on Zelle by contacting your financial institution. Then you could explain to them your plight and describe what happened. You must be prepared to present proof before them so as to prove your case and get a chargeback. Upon finding your chargeback legit, you would be able to get your money back without facing any issues.
If you’ve been tricked or scammed, you must contact your bank immediately and charge a dispute. This step would prove useful in getting your money back for sure.